Dear Parents and Carers,
We are aware of the growing number of children and young people who are being exposed to potentially harmful substances through the use of electronic cigarettes (“vapes”) and smokeless, chewing tobacco (sometimes known as ‘snus’, or ‘snuff’).
The purpose of this letter is to inform you of our concerns, but also to provide you with some helpful and informative resources to use when talking to your child about the potential risk of these substances.
- Electronic Cigarettes/ Vapes – https://www.talktofrank.com/drug/vapes
- Smokeless tobacco – https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/smokeless.html
Some additional information:
- ASH (Action on Smoking and Health): https://ash.org.uk/fact-sheets/
- Know the Risks: https://ash.org.uk/fact-sheets/
- Kids Health: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/e-cigarettes.html
At LAB, we will continue to work with our students, raising the dangers of using both electronic cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. Please note that the possession of both electronic cigarettes and of smokeless tobacco is forbidden at the academy, and is sanctioned in the same way as any incident of smoking or possession of smoking paraphernalia, as detailed in our behaviour policy.
Should you have any further concerns, please do contact your child’s college team.
Mrs C Lindars
Vice Principal – Airy College
Designated Safeguarding Lead